Road Maps for My Son

Lessons I've learned that should save you time, heartbreak, frustrations, failures, lost opportunities.

Name:
Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida, United States

Trying hard not to be totally vapid.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Life Road Maps

Despite our uniqueness, we all face similar experiences as we move through life's stages. This is, then, an attempt to offer a meta-view of life's experiences, a description of the elements of the experiences, an offering of insight on what works and doesn't work in this or that situation, and an opportunity to try to keep big picture in mind as well the likely 'karmic' implications of our actions on our life's 'system'.It's a more eloquent way of saying that there are pieces of advice I'd like to pass along. Advice and insights that I think can be valuable -- that I wish I'd had or had listened more carefully in my life. Not being there with you, I can't always comment on the exact situation you're facing. And I know, for whatever reasons, you don't reach out to me for those opinions, so I think the best I can do is offer this blog as a resource. I'll post as often as I can think of something worthwhile to offer -- and you can check it at your leisure. If you've got specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.What the heck is a 'life roadmap' and why should you care?The vast majority of the situations we find ourselves in are not unique --your response to the situation may be, but the situation is probably not -- at least not at some level of generalization, or meta-level of abstraction. While Neil Armstrong had the unique experience of being the first to step on the moon, he was not the first explorer, nor astronaut, nor discoverer -- all of which offer some hints and guidance on what he was to experience, how he might proceed, etc. There are broad similarities in each stage of the human experience, the male experience, the modern man experience. Each of us can either discern these similarities through trial and error ('the hard way') or through being aware of the experiences and insights of others.Now, a map won't necessarily keep you from taking a wrong turn -- nor does having a map make the length or difficulty of the trip any less. But it can make the miserable aspects of life more endurable when you have a rough idea of how long things may last, or are able to get a peek at the bigger picture.You get the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home